Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Different Industries
Artificial Intelligence is intelligence displayed by machines or commonly referred as computers. The invention of robots starts with AI. It is one of the fast-growing technology adapted by many industries to seek its advantages over human intelligence for faster and accurate results. AI provides solutions to day today problems of humans and has been widely used in various industries such as healthcare/medical, defense, engineering, military etc. It is also commonly used by many of us in our home devices. In this paper, we shall discuss about overview of AI, its history, its applications to various field and especially Healthcare/medical.
Artificial Intelligence (AI), future of AI in medicine, different applications.
1. Introduction: What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)?
AI is used by computer to imitate the intelligent actions with minimal human interferences. “The ability of a digital computer or computer-controlled robot to perform tasks commonly associated with intelligent beings.” – Encyclopedia Britannica. AI is a critical field of science and technology mainly with machine learning and intelligent behavior. Automating tasks such as commands, interacting with human/consumer queries, speech, facial recognition etc. are some of the tasks performed by a computer with use of AI technology.
2. History of AI:
AI has gained popularity and rapid usage in last few years, however, AI pioneer projects were conducted back in 1950s. Scientist John McCarthy used Artificial Intelligence word for the first time ever in a conference. The discussion topic at this conference was how a machine can be utilized to enact like a human. There were several research pilot projects were conducted during 1950s and 1980s which did not materialize into an application using AI. The next breakthrough of AI came in 1997 when IBM developed a computer names” Deep Blue” , also known as “IBM’s chess computer” won a tournament against a world champion. Several other popular AI applications have been developed are being used by consumers and are commercially successful. To name a few, “SIRI” , an app in “iPhone 4” which recognizes and processing language and assist with human interactive questions and commands. “Alexa” by Amazon is most commonly used AI smart device in most of our homes which assists in several day today tasks. Figure 2.1 shows the history of AI since 1950.
3. Applications of AI in different industries:
AI has been breaking into all the markets and even the industries which are non-associated with computer science and technology are using AI to profit from its breakthrough innovations. AI has become a vital part of our daily lives more than we know and succeeds in assisting in many scenarios every day. Few examples which we all could easily relate are: every google search made, or get a product recommendation from Amazon, or a flight ticket booking etc. are all results of AI technology application running in the backend. Examples of some of the industries where AI is being used:
- a. Healthcare and Medicine: AI tops the list of uses in Medicine and Healthcare. Uses of AI in healthcare has been vast and is used by healthcare professionals at all levels proving to be a game-changer. Physicians to surgeons, nurses, administration staff; AI is being used to automate the process, protecting the personal records of patients against cybercrime, robotic assistance in surgeries, accuracy in diagnoses are some of examples of how AI is being used. It is being implemented in every possible aspect of the healthcare and medicine industry bringing the cost down and providing advanced insights in field of medicine. AI-powered robots assists the surgeons with different kind of surgeries assisting with higher accuracy with lower risk for any infections, lesser blood loss and helping patients to recover faster with lesser stay time in the hospitals. Automation of digital records is another innovation of AI in the medical field helping technicians and professionals to store records in digital forms instead of physicals folders cutting down the time and efforts in maintaining the records of years for reference. This also helps patients to access their health records from anywhere using their smart devices through a online health portal application.
- b. Retail and e-commerce: AI in retail and e-commerce is largely used in the automation of an enormous amount of data of customers, inventory and stock. A chatbot in online stores jogs customers’ memory of the saved items in their cart before they navigate away and prompts them for a purchase thus helping in closing a sale most of the times. AI implementation in online stores helps in storing the browser data, the sites visited, the products looked and every possible minute detail a customer has browsed which is analyzed by AI and a personalized result is distributed via alerts with visuals that particularly interests the customer.
- c. Education: Children are the building blocks of the nation and education plays a vital role in shaping a child’s future. AI is education is implemented to automate certain tasks for the teachers and to improve learning abilities in students with robotic teacher-student assistants programs. Tactile robots are being implemented in classrooms for students to interact and assist them in tutoring reading, language learning and many other interactive sessions boosting students’ confidence and ability to advance their learning skills. Children with disability are at great advantage with use of robots remotely to attend classes and not to lag behind in learning.
- d. Transportation and services Industry: AI-enabled Smart cars and drones are much talked about and awaited recent innovations. Big industry players such as Amazon, CVS, Walmart etc. are already investing in autonomous drone program for delivering packages and prescriptions. CVS is running a pilot program in which drones are used to delivered prescriptions to doorsteps. Amazon Prime air delivery system is working on building robotic drones to deliver packages within minutes.
- e. Creative Arts: Artists are using AI to collect the contributions from different media such as newspaper headlines, speeches, interviews to obtain the data which can be helpful for creative artist such as musicians to create songs based on trending themes. “Watson Beats” is one such example that has capacity to come up with variety of musical elements to support composers. Another example is “IBM’s AI enabled Chef Watson” which has the capability in assisting with food recipes and personalized food combinations.
- f. Travel and Navigation: Travel and Navigation industries are steadily benefiting from the use of AI implementation and AI becoming the prominent tool for service providing and customer requirements. From planning a trip to making recommendations of ideal driving direction, AI is taking a big step and profiting from pervasive use of the smart devices.
4. Challenges of AI:
Though AI technology is impacting positive changes to the world from preventing cyber-attacks to counter-terrorism, performing arts to space research, its potential uses are evident in many other industries. In spite all the advantages and positive impact of AI, it still faces challenges in real world in terms of lack of computer power, lack of trained people, lack of proven cases.
- a. Lack of Computer Power: Machine learning and Deep learning uses high volume of data and executes complex algorithms in a very short period of time with positive results. This requires enormous amount of processing power which is currently being accomplished by using cloud computing and large number of parallel processing computers which seem to be a temporary solution for a long term challenge of growing volume of data. Next generation innovation of Quantum Computing may be a solution for this challenge of AI which again may take few years to commercially successful.
- b. Insufficient trainer professionals: AI has been popular in last couple of years and there has been lack of investment in field of education – it can provide help in different languages, for example reescribir textos, and training facilities on Data science courses focusing on skills, tools and required for AI implementation techniques. There are not skilled professionals who has the knowledge and skills to take on the AI technology projects in which machines/robots thinks and performs tasks like human beings. Training technical professionals who has knowledge and working experience of programming , coding, statistics and mathematics can be one of the solution to this challenge as trained IT professions will take lesser time in leanring and intrepretaing AI techniques when compares to training associates with no or minimal work experience.
- c. Lack of proven cases of AI: “The problem is that AI is a black box – people don’t feel comfortable when they don’t understand how the decision was made or why it was made.” Machine learning and Deep leraning are complex techniques of AI and pose a challenge in justification of who decision or a prediction. AI can never beat human brain in terms of decision making and prediction. AI techniques have difficulties in identifying and transferring the knowledge from one situation to other situation. Training of AI model to perform a are being trained at do a certain tasks which are then applied to a similarly but different activity is something which can contribute to overcome this challenge. Letting the world know that AI works is something technical professionals and researchers should do sooner than later for faster adaption of AI for commercial success and personal use.
Some of the other challenges of AI in near future are loss of human jobs or employment to the robotics devices which will have ability to perform tasks just like any humans. While this benefits bigger organization in terms of cost cutting, it is not beneficial to society as a whole. Another very significant challenge we could encounter is privacy threats as almost every one of us are knowingly or unknowingly using AI in our day today tasks such as navigation, google voice etc.
While we all enjoy the benefits of the fast growing AI technologies, it is also equally important for human beings to make a conscious and wise step in terms of how much of personal information and data to be shared using smart devices and IOTs.
Artificial Intelligence is positively impacting our lives and society with many advantages over obstacles through wide range of AI applications. Our choices are influencds by AI and many opportunities of AI have only been increasing day by day and expected to raise exponentially in near future. AI is a rewarding discipline and holds a great future for generations to come. AI devices and systems are being used in multiple industries such as medicine, education, travel, retail, engineering, automotive etc, and are also part of our common computer home devices and applications. While we all are embracing the positive change AI is bringing to our society and enjoying the benefits , it is also crucial to address the challenges that may be hinder wider adoption of AI technology and be prepared to tackle and over come the challenges wheather it is in terms of employment, privacy threats or fear of machines replacing humans. Finally, the government bodies should come up with legal policies to tackle the fast-growing AI advancement and its challenges posed to society.
- Theo van Kraay Cloud Solution Architect (Advanced Analytics & AI), Customer Success Unit. What is Artificial Intelligence? August 9, 2018.
- Artificial Intelligence, Encyclopedia Britannica – B.J.Copeland.
- From Deep Blue to Alexa: The history of artificial intelligence, Veröffentlicht von Sarah Heuser auf Mar 6, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence, learn.g2.com
- Essays, UK. (November 2018). Artificial Intelligence Essay. Retrieved from https://www.ukessays.com/essays/computer-science/introduction-to-artificial-intelligence-computer-science-essay.php?vref=1
- Artificial intelligence in medicine by Pavel Hamet and Johanne Tremblay, January 10, 2017
- Artificial Intelligence: Boon or Bane? By Amit Tyagi DOI: 10.2139/ssrn.2836438
- BBC News. (2016). Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind – BBC News. [online] Available at: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540 August 15 2016.
- Forbes: The Biggest Challenges Facing Artificial Intelligence (AI) In Business And Society, July 13, 2017
- Biggest challenges facing artificial intelligence in business and society
- PWC , AI analytics, sizing the price report: https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/issues/analytics/assets/pwc-ai-analysis-sizing-the-prize-report.pdf